Now you understand that report runs have formats and each format is made up of different sections with different items turned on or off. Now it's time to learn how we actually build/ design a report.
Step 3: On the next screen let's give our report run a name and assign a format or multiple formats to the report
As you can see in the image above, i've called my report "Semester 1 2017" You can call your report anything you would like.
I have also added a report format by selecting it from the "Add Format" button. I added the Primary Report Format Template for this report.
Step 4: Now lets click on "edit" next to the report format so that we can start designing this report.
Let's stop here and take a moment to "Save" our report as it currently is. It's important to click the save button often when designing a report.
Let's take a look at the interface on this first "Report-> Format" Screen
- This is the "Save" button. I'm sure we don't need to tell you what it does but do remember to click it once you make changes to a report so they actually save.
- This is a navigation or "bread crumbs" bar. This is how we step through the different sections of writing a report. The text here becomes buttons to navigate backward.
- This is our report preview option. At any time as you are designing your report you can click on this preview option to see what the final report would look like for a student.
- This is the Title of our report. This will show up on the final printed version of the report if you tick to include the Format Title. If you dont choose to have the title show up, we will use the Subject name you entered when you created the Cohort/Teacher Import File.
- Here you have the option to override the school name for this report. By default it will use the school name of your SPAplatform account.
- Here we can upload a school logo to include in the report.
- These are the different sections of a report format (we will go into each of these in detail shortly)
- This is how we add new sections to our report format. You can select from a whole heap of "Section" templates that are included
- This is where we add the students to this Report Format (see Assigning students to a report)
Step 6: We design a report sections by adding different report sections to the report.
There are seven to choose from:
- Summary Section
- Full Page Subjects Section
- Partial Page Subjects Section
- Personal Learning Goals Section
- Parent Comments Section
- Principals Comment Section
- Custom Section
Step 7: Adding a new section to a report
We can easily add a new section to our report by choosing from the drop down list and clicking the "+Section". From here you can add a number of different pre built sections as you can see in the list or add "Custom" section that is blank and ready for you to add anything you would like too.
Step 8: How to Re order Sections
The order you put sections in is how they will appear on the students report once it is printed. You can simply change this order by clicking the up or down buttons next to each section. This will change their order in the report.
For each section that you add, you will then need to edit each section. Click the edit button next to each section to move to this setp.
To edit each section, you will be turning on and off the different items avaible. Refer back to the section Understanding and Editing Items in a Section to understand what each "Section" of a report can contain. Go through and turn on and off the items you require in each section as well as edit these items. For example add comment boxes/titles, individualise work habits or student absences.